Thursday, January 5, 2012

Info Letter Assignment

So, my students are working on their info letter assignments. This is a letter to the teacher about what they know about the computer, software they have used, hardware they have used, websites they enjoy and something that I may not have known about them. It is fun to see some of the things that they are writing.


Here are some examples of what they wrote:

"I had a PC laptop, but my brother stole it."

"I have a pink and blue desktop, I don't really know what kind it is."

"Something you don't know about me is that I love Justin Beiber to death."

"I like youtube because it has really funny videos on it."

"I like facebook because I can keep in touch with my family."

"My mom is Samoan, and my dad is Tongan. But no one can say my mom's name right so they just call her Lao."


Something I am amazed at when reading the students letters are:

They are willing to share almost anything. Very few don't know what to write. An example is that one student told me that she had a brother who died, another talked about a medical condition that she will have to deal with her whole life, another said that sometimes his chores take a really long time, another stated that his parents are strict. It doesn't take much for students to write things that you (as a parent) may not want shared with the whole world. At this age, 7th grade, they hopefully will learn more about their selves and their lives and be able to use that information to become better social and emotionally.

They each have their own personalities and are individually different. Some are able to just take off and write page after page of information. Others have to be directed a little more. But each wants to write! I don't remember as a middle school student wanting to write anything. Hopefully this attitude of writing will continue into their futures.



No comments:

Post a Comment