Tuesday, August 16, 2011

08/15/11 : First day with kids

So I learned a few things today!!!

As many of you know - I am a very loud person. When my mentor started class, she used a soft tone (to me). I think this set the atmosphere for our classroom. The kids were not boisterous, they mostly listened and were also soft. Several times when I substituted, I found that the kids were really loud - I think my voice set the tone. So - - - I think I am gonna try it!!!!

Several things I liked that my mentor did:

Prior to class - She posted a daily agenda on the wall!!! I think it not only helped her, but also helped the kids know what was next.

During first 10 minutes of class - after checking schedules. She gave the students a worksheet to work on while she took the time to create a seating chart - this enabled her to walk around the class and visit with each student. Also, having the seating chart it should enable her to be able to learn the kids names quicker!

My mentor did show a video for her rules. It was created using a website called XtraNormal.com. It was an animated video with an avatar - in the style of the video I made for Sociology using two cell phones, made on goAnimate.com! The kids really enjoyed this and thought it was a great example of the types of things we will be doing in our classroom.

I am thinking I am going to be loving this internship!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment