Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Teaching Strategy

So today I attended Janet Steinhauser's Literacies class. It was very informational - told me more about my style of group work than I realized before.

Also, she gave a great idea for "Knowing where your students understanding level was." It is called the Fist to Five method. Basically, it uses the hand as a way to gage each child's understanding. The method is as follows:

If a student understands the material well enough they thought they could teach it to someone they would raise all 5 of their fingers - like a high five.

If a student doesn't understand at all then the student would put up their fist with no fingers out.

And the other 4 in moderation between the two.

So say I am presenting a lesson, and I want to know if everyone knows what they are doing next in the activity, I can say, "Fist to Five...". The class would then silently (ha ha) put their hands in the air indicating their level of understanding. So I would know whether I needed to restate the assignment, or if I could let them break to do it on their own - based on the responses.

I thought this was a great idea, and I will probably mention it to my mentor - as well as try it out. I will let you know how it goes!!!

If you have read this please comment!!! I am trying to get an indication of who - if anyone other than me is reading this. Mention if you liked the idea, and whether you think it will work or not and WHY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment