Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Classes week of 8/30

So classes this week went well.

For ESDY 630: We went over syllabus & talked about Jane Addams "The public school & the immigrant child" published in 1908. It was interesting to see the chasm between American schools and immigrant home life. Thought Question: Does that still exist today??? I would say look at the Refuges that have come to the US to get out of persecution. The Hmong people for example they left Vietnam because they helped us. However don't we require them to change their culture, speak our language, and do things the American way???

For EDSY 661: We talked about accessing prior knowledge through the use of assessments. We were each asked to create a visual aid about our content area... mine is a prezi document. view it at prezi.com Search Business Technology, it's the third one.

For EDSE 637: We started working on learning about misconceptions of special eduaction, and it was a real eye opener for some. Our big assignment for mid-terms is to create a Venn Diagram about IDEA and 504, I have already started researching it. So that I can get a jump on my group.

For EDSY 644 & EDFN 647: Our class was cancelled due to professor being at daughters labor & delivery. Hope all is well. She did give us online assignments to complete instead. I appreciated it because I tried to get caught up on all our other big projects.

Our big projects this semester are:
1. Case Study of SE student: We have to get parent permission, as well as follow FERPA guidelines, so we plan on pushing though with that plan. I have picked the student, but want to talk to his parents before I proceed.
2. Class Profile: We get to profile a specific class we are teaching in, I think I have picked my class, as well as know where to get most of the information, however I am still working out whether I need permission or not. I will look into it in more detail next week.
3. Language Handbook: This is a quick reference guide to new teacher who may have a different language speaking student in their classes, it will give a background about the class, as well as definitions in that language for parents.
4. School Community Presentation - I am guessing this is a continuation of what we already did this summer, however I don't have much information concerning it.
5. Tool-kit for General Methods - This will include lesson plans as well as other instructional tools for the interns.

Anyway, I hope I can keep up with all I have to do this semester & I hope my kids forgive me in May for the chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment